What The Chakra?!
You hear it everywhere... chakra this... chakra that. “Is your chakra in alignment?” "Maybe your root chakra is off?"
Though it may be easy to get some sort of idea what people are talking about, it took us a much-needed deep dive in order to get a true understanding of what a chakra really is.
Chakras, by definition, are energy centers within the human body that help to regulate all of its processes, from organ function to the immune system and emotions.
Though there are more, we can commonly count 7 chakras positioned throughout the center of your body, from the base of your spine to the crown of your head. Each chakra has its own vibrational frequency that governs specific functions that help make you, well, human. These chakras are also depicted through specific chakra colors.
The seven chakras are the centers in our bodies in which energy flows through. Blocked energy in any of our seven chakras is said to often related to illness, so it's important to understand what each chakra represents and what we can do to keep this energy flowing freely.
Here's our quick summary of each center chakra starting from the bottom of our body’s center going up:
Represents our foundation and idea of being grounded
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food
- Color: Red & Black
- Stones: Hematite, Red Jasper, Snowflake Obsidian
- Essential Oil: Patchouli
Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences
- Location: Lower abdomen, about two inches below the navel and two inches in
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, and sexuality
- Color: White
- Stones: Carnelian, Moonstone, Orange Calcite
- Essential Oil: Sandalwood
Solar Plexus Chakra
Our ability to be confident and in control of our lives
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, and self-esteem
- Color: Yellow
- Stones: Tiger’s Eye, Citrine, Yellow Jasper
- Essential Oil: Cinnamon
Our ability to love
- Location: Center of chest just above the heart
- Emotional issues: Love, joy and inner peace
- Color: Green & Pink
- Stones: Moss Agate, Rose Quartz, Aventurine
- Essential Oil: Rose
Our ability to communicate
- Location: Throat
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings and the truth
- Color: Blue
- Stones: Blue Lace Agate, Apatite, Angelite
- Essential Oil: Eucalyptus
Third Eye Chakra
Our ability to focus on and see the big picture
- Location: Forehead between the eyes (also called the Brow Chakra)
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom and the ability to think and make decisions
- Color: Purple & Indigo
- Stones: Lapis Lazuli, Prehnite, Sodalite
- Essential Oil: Lavender
The highest chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually
- Location: The very top of the head
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality and pure bliss
- Color: Violet and White
- Stones: Howlite, Labradorite, Amethyst
- Essential Oil: Frankincense
So what do you do with all of this information? Start with trying to understand each of your Chakras and then you'll start to recognize how it directly impacts you. With this information, you will be able to proactively fix your energy when you feel off.
For example, if you have a presentation coming up and you want to be able to communicate your thoughts as clearly as possible, you would want to focus on giving your Throat Chakra some love. Lookup exercises or meditations that directly relate to the throat. On the day of your presentation, you can then carry Blue Lace Agate in your pocket to give you the correct energy and vibrations for a killer speech (having our Chakra Stone Set handy will also always have you feeling prepared!).
When explaining individual chakras and how they translate in our lives, I think Anodea Judith said it best,
"The word chakra literally means "disk." How fitting that in modern times, disks are the common storage unit of programmed information. We can use this analogy and think of chakras as floppy disks that contain vital programs. (...) The chakra system is an evolutionary program and can be used to reprogram our lives, If we can learn this on an individual level, perhaps we can apply the same methods to our culture and environment."
(Eastern Body Western Mind, Anodea Judith)
Trying to understand your individual charkas and examining the health of each center point is a wonderful chance for inner development and self-care.
Take a #MeMoment and ask yourself:
- How am I feeling today?
- Is there something off?
- Could this correlate with one of my chakras?
- Is there a particular chakra that I need to work on?"
Enjoy your chakra journey!